Monday, 18 September 2023

States Shifting To Old Pension Scheme Major Step Backwards: RBI Article

States reverting to the old pension scheme is a "major step backwards" and may take the fiscal stress of states to "unsustainable levels" in the medium to long term, according to an article by RBI staffers.

The article by Rachit Solanki, Somnath Sharma, RK Sinha, SR Behera and Atri Mukherjee said the cumulative fiscal burden in the case of the Old Pension Scheme (OPS) could be as high as 4.5 times that of the New Pension Scheme, which was implemented over a decade ago as part of pension reforms.

The views expressed in the research paper are not that of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).

Recently, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Punjab and Himachal Pradesh have announced reversal to the OPS from NPS, the article said.

The OPS has Defined Benefits (DB) while the NPS has defined contributions, the article said, adding that while the OPS has a short term allure, the same poses challenges in the medium to long term.

"...short run reduction in states' pension outgo which may be driving decisions to restore OPS, would be eclipsed by the huge rise in future unfunded pension liabilities in the long run," it said.

"States' reverting to the OPS would be a major step backwards and can increase their fiscal stress to unsustainable levels in the medium to long term," the article warned.

The immediate gain for states shifting back to the OPS is that they will not have to spend on the NPS contribution of the current employees, but in the future, the unfunded OPS is likely to exert "severe pressures" on their finances, it said.

States will save only 0.1 per cent of GDP in yearly pension outgo by reverting to the OPS till 2040 but would be required to incur an average additional increase in pension expenditure by 0.5 per cent of yearly GDP post 2040.

It said several developed economies with DB schemes in the past have faced rising public expenditure due to the rising life expectancy of its citizens, and the changing demographic profile and rising fiscal costs have compelled several economies around the world to re-examine their pension schemes.

"Any reversion to the OPS by the states would be fiscally unsustainable, though it may result in an immediate fall in their pension outgo," the article said.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV Profit-Latest https://ift.tt/FMxde5r
via

Couple, 2 children and 3 dogs found shot to death in suburban Chicago home

A couple, their two children and three dogs have been found fatally shot in a suburban Chicago home

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/tdCk3az
via

Sunday, 17 September 2023

Los Angeles Dodgers clinch 11th NL West title in 12 years with 6-2 win over Seattle Mariners

Los Angeles Dodgers clinch 11th NL West title in 12 years with 6-2 win over Seattle Mariners

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/e2bcxfa
via

Search on for a missing Marine Corps fighter jet in South Carolina after pilot safely ejects

A Marine Corps pilot safely ejected from a fighter jet over South Carolina and the search for his missing aircraft was focused on two lakes near North Charleston

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/IzaMf3s
via

World War I-era plane flips onto roof trying to land near Massachusetts museum

Massachusetts authorities say a World War I-era plane crashed and flipped over onto its roof as the pilot tried to land outside of a military history museum

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/aJKW5n8
via

Former Colorado officer gets probation for putting woman in police vehicle that was hit by a train

A former Colorado police officer who put a handcuffed woman in a parked vehicle that was hit by a freight train last year, causing the woman to suffer a traumatic brain injury, has avoided a jail sentence

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/NmlTeHj
via

Saturday, 16 September 2023

A preacher to death row inmates says he wants to end executions. Critics warn he's only seeking fame

A death row inmate in Oklahoma is scheduled for execution next week, but he has fired his lawyers and skipped a clemency hearing

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/uXptQMn
via

Caught in a lie, CEO of embattled firm caring for NYC migrants resigns

The chief executive officer of a firm hired by New York City to house and care for hundreds of migrants has resigned abruptly

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/GBjSTkX
via

Friday, 15 September 2023

Michigan man cleared of killing 2 hunters to get $1 million for wrongful convictions

The state of Michigan has agreed to pay $1.03 million to a man who spent nearly 21 years in prison for the deaths of two hunters

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/6QdA23R
via

At the request of Baghdad, UN will end in 1 year its probe of Islamic State extremists in Iraq

The Security Council has voted unanimously to end, a year from now, a U.N. probe into activities of Islamic State extremists in Iraq

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/MhSAuGE
via

Tata Steel, UK Announce 1.25 Billion Pound Joint Investment Plan

The United Kingdom on Friday announced a joint investment package with Tata Steel worth 1.25 billion pounds, including a government grant of 500 million pounds, for the country's largest steelworks in Wales that will help protect thousands of jobs and boost the British economy.

The government's grant has been dubbed as one of the largest British government support packages in history and a "defining moment" for the country's steel industry.

As part of the agreement, the Indian steel giant is expected to invest GBP 1.25 billion, including the government grant, in a new electric arc furnace and related facilities for greener steel production at Port Talbot in South Wales, currently the UK's largest single carbon emitter.

"This investment will modernise and secure a more sustainable future for the UK steel industry.

"It will also protect thousands of skilled jobs in the long-term and help grow the economy," UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said in a post on social media platform X.

Tata Steel UK employs over 8,000 people, including at Port Talbot, which was under serious threat without substantial investment. The company also supports around 12,500 further jobs in the upstream supply chain.

The Department for Business and Trade (DBT) on Friday said the proposal, which is subject to information and consultation processes led by Tata Steel, has the potential to safeguard over 5,000 jobs across Britain.

"The UK government is backing our steel sector, and this proposal will secure a sustainable future for Welsh steel and is expected to save thousands of jobs in the long term," UK Business and Trade Secretary Kemi Badenoch said.

According to her, this is a historic package of support from the UK government and will not only protect skilled jobs in Wales but also "grow the UK economy, boost growth and help ensure a successful UK steel industry".

Tata Steel and the UK government have announced a joint agreement on a proposal to invest in state-of-the-art electric arc furnace steel making at the Port Talbot site with a capital cost of 1.25 billion pounds, inclusive of a grant from the government of up to 500 million pounds, the company said in a statement.

The new electric furnace is to replace the existing coal-powered blast furnaces, which are nearing the end of their effective life, and reduce the UK's entire carbon emissions by around 1.5 per cent as a result.

The proposal is subject to relevant regulatory approvals, information, and consultation processes, and finalisation of detailed terms and conditions.

"The agreement with the UK government is a defining moment for the future of the steel industry and indeed the industrial value chain in the UK," said Tata Group Chairman N Chandrasekaran, who had been working with the government in developing a "transition pathway" for sustainable steelmaking in the UK.

"The proposed investment will preserve significant employment and presents a great opportunity for the development of a green technology-based industrial ecosystem in South Wales. We look forward to working with our stakeholders on these proposals in a responsible manner," he said.

Tata Steel's Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director T V Narendran said the proposed project with one of the largest investments in the UK steel industry in recent decades, provides an opportunity for an optimal outcome for all stakeholders.

"We will undertake a meaningful consultation with the Unions on the proposed transition pathway in the context of future risk and opportunities for Tata Steel UK," Narendran said.

UK Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said the proposal is a landmark moment for maintaining ongoing UK steel production - supporting sustainable economic growth, cutting emissions, and creating green jobs.

Tata Steel UK will now inform and consult with staff and unions on the agreed proposals.

"Unions should have had a seat at the table throughout this process, as it is clear the interests of the workforce have not been considered in the rush to sign off a deal to do decarbonisation on the cheap," the Community steelworkers, which is among those concerned about the arrangements, said.

Stephen Kinnock, Opposition Labour MP for Aberavon which covers Port Talbot, said the investment to decarbonise was long overdue but that he was concerned that ministers did not "adequately consult steel unions".

The UK government said it would also ensure support for any staff affected by the transition, working with the devolved Welsh government and Tata Steel to establish a dedicated transition board to support both affected employees and the local economy with a funding up to 100 million pounds.

"Steelmaking remains a vital part of the Welsh economy and this huge support package from the UK Government ensures that the industry now has a bright future to match its long and proud history in South Wales," Welsh Secretary David T C Davies said.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV Profit-Latest https://ift.tt/H4NrdGs
via

Jindal Steel Gets Green Panel Notice Over Worker's Death In Molten Slag Incident

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has issued a notice to Jindal Steel and Power Limited in connection with the death of a worker after hot or molten slag allegedly fell on him at the company's steel plant in Patrapali village in Raigarh district of Chhattisgarh.

The NGT was hearing an application registered on the basis of a news report published by PTI on August 22 regarding the worker's death.

The application raised an apprehension of non-compliance with environmental laws in the process of disposal of slag, a byproduct of steel manufacturing.

In an order passed on Thursday, a bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Prakash Shrivastava said the Chhattisgarh Environment Conservation Board had filed a reply without touching the aspect of handling slag, which was the cause of the accident in the present case.

"In this context, the guidelines prepared by the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) to deal with the handling and management of slag generated from pyro-metallurgical operations in iron and steel industries need to be referred," the bench, also comprising judicial member Justice Sudhir Agarwal and expert member A Senthil Vel, said.

"Hence, at this stage, we deem it proper to issue notice. The registry of the tribunal is directed to serve the project proponent i.e, Jindal Steel and Power Limited, Patrapali village, Raigarh," it added.

The principal bench of the green panel said as the matter pertained to the Central Zone bench of the tribunal in Bhopal, it was being transferred for "appropriate further action".

According to police, payload operator Chini Lal Patel died on August 22 due to serious burns after molten slag from the furnace fell on him.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV Profit-Latest https://ift.tt/IlY9aeq
via

Thursday, 14 September 2023

Florida man who hung swastika banner on highway overpass is arrested

A Florida man who authorities say is a member of an extremist group has been arrested in displaying a banner with swastikas on a highway overpass

from ABC News: US https://ift.tt/0zaLTug
via